My top 10 songs of 2016


Every year I discover more and more new music to listen to, whether it's a new track or an old one that I'd just discovered, I enjoy finding new music. So last year was no different, I discovered lots of new music and bands to listen to a as well as falling back in love with some old song I haven't listened to in a while. Arctic Monkeys is one band I fell back in love with so hard last year, I've been listening to them for a few years, but just a couple songs from each album, so I decided to check out some of their tracks i'd never really payed attention to before, and this time they hit me hard. But the majority of the songs I chose were new releases last year. All tracks are linked so you an check them out yourselves. So in no particular order... 

Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys   

Like I said above, Arctic Monkeys are fairly new to me, but this is actually one of the songs I listened to before my rediscovery. I fell back in love with this song about a year ago now, I don't know what it is about this tune but I love it. It's got amazing guitar and drums and it really pumps me up.  


Knee Socks - Arctic Monkeys 

This Arctic Monkeys song is one of the ones that was new to me. I had it on repeat for most of last year, I love the bass and rhythm of this tune and there's also something about the lyrics that I really love. It's very catchy and I always seem to have it stuck in my head.  

The Sound - The 1975

Last year The 1975 released their second album 'I Like It When You Sleep For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It' and I remembered how much I listened to their last album after it's release. This is possibly my favourite song from the new album, it's a kind of new sound for The 1975, but has great lyrics and a killer guitar solo.  

Take Cover - All Time Low 

Can't be a good year without a new All Time Low song! This tune was released specially on Straight to DVD 2 along with a B-side called Caroline. This song ties in perfectly with the rest of the Future Hearts album and to me feels like a good song to end the Future Hearts era with. It has amazing guitar at the beginning, quite different to anything All Time Low have ever done before, and I just love the echo-y, eerie vibe that you get at the beginning of this track.   

Somebody Else - The 1975 

This is another one of my favourites from The 1975 album, it's a slower one, and you can really hear the emotion in Matty's voice in this tune. I love a good sad, slow song and The 1975 are really good at those, so I definitely had this one on almost all my playlists from last year.  

Heathens - Twenty One Pilots  

The seconds I heard that TOP were releasing a new song for Suicide Squad I screamed, I actually screamed. This song is incredible, it's different to all their other songs, it's very eerie. I love the whole vibe and the meaning of the song, and the part that makes this song the most amazing is the fact that it's in the credits of Suicide Squad.  

Treat You Better - Shawn Mendes  

This is a great track, and last year was definitely a good year for Shawn Mendes. I'm mostly drawn the the drum beat in this song, any song with a good beat is worth listening to. Along with his other single 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'(also amazing btw, very nearly on this list) Shawn has a very distinct pop sound to his songs, but Treat You Better was really a 2017 anthem for most people.  

Closer - The Chainsmokers  

One of the best pop songs of 2016, this banger featuring Halsey was definitely on everyone's summer playlist. It has a very electronic sound, with a very foot-tapping beat behind it, and although people say the lyrics are very cliché I like them like that. Sometimes you just have to have a mushy love song on your playlist. Not to mention Halsey's vocals just make everything better.  

Plus One - You Me At Six 

Another edgy tune from YMAS, it has that very classic pop punk, alternative, rock band sound that we love YMAS for. It contains very loud, explosive instruments, along with Josh Franceschi's brilliantly gritty, growly voice that for me just completes any angry YMAS song. The whole 'Night People' album is worth a listen to but if I had to pick one from that album it would have to be this heavy track.  

Body Moves - DNCE 

Another pop track, DNCE released their third single with my expectations being their it would have the same sound as the other two tracks. But Body Moves has a very funky, going in the other direction of the feel good, mushy songs and gone for a more sexy, hip-swaying tune. Joe Jonas's vocals make you swoon, with many innuendo filled lyrics, a slow drum beat, and sensual rhythm. As an ex Jonas Brothers fan, I'm loving what Joe is doing with this song.  

Here are also a few honorable mentions this I don't think qualified to make my top 10 but I still played the hell out of all year... 

Chewing Gum - Nina Nesbitt  
Balaclava - Arctic Monkeys  
Sex - Cheat Codes  
God Save The Foolish King - House Of Heroes  
We Don't Talk Anymore - Charlie Puth  
Bang Bang - Green Day  
Hymn For The Weekend - Coldplay  
She's American - The 1975 


Thanks for checking out my top songs from 2016, hoping some of you discovered song new stuff to listen to.  
India X 

Comments

Popular Posts